Sunday, November 16, 2008

Remarkable People


Last month I had the distinct honor of meeting Desmond Tutu. The evening was remarkable in itself and made all that more special by the fact that I shared it with my mom (standing between Demond Tutu and I in the photo).

I wish you could have been there…..we were at the VIP reception after the Archbishop’s talk…..the room was filled with excited chatter, the clinking of glasses and the laugher of friends. Reverend Tutu was mingling with guests. I had spoken with him earlier in the evening before his talk and now I had the absolute delight of introducing him to my mom. Upon completing the introduction I stepped back and drank in the moment. My mom (from rural Wisconsin) was shaking hands and chatting with Nobel Peace Prize Recipient Desmond Tutu from South Africa. A moment which will live forever in my memory ---- as I type this I can almost hear their respective laughs milling together. I wish you could have heard it …….

The paths of remarkable people cross each day --- in this case it was my mom and Desmond Tutu. Both people I admire --- with more differences than similarities --- and both remarkable in their own way.

The world is filled with remarkable people……some, like Desmond Tutu, have Nobel Peace Prizes….many more, like my mom, do not. Are you appreciating the remarkable people in your life?

More on the messages Desmond Tutu shared in future posts. I’m confident I will be sharing stories of the evening in workshops and keynotes for many years to come!

Wishing you the very best with all your endeavors,

Nora A Burns


Nora A. Burns, SPHR is Founder and President of Insightful Endeavors International, (IEI), Inc. A native of Wisconsin with 20 years experience in Learning & Organizational Development, Nora currently resides in Denver, CO with her insanely cute Labradoodle Bella and Bella's sidekick Baxter.

IEI specializes in building innovative, sustainable teams to drive bottom-line results.



Photo Note: Left to right.... Me - Nora Burns, My Mom - Ruth Burns, Desmond Tutu, My Friend - Penny Paster

1 comment:

Liz said...

Wow Nora, that's so cool! What a treat to have your mom there. I miss her (and her Christmas cookies!). And I miss you, too!!