Wednesday, June 12, 2013

When is the last time you did something for the very first time?


When we were children, firsts were a way of life!  From our first word, first step and first time eating with a spoon, our parents watched for, tracked and celebrated our firsts.  First day of school, first report card, first time attending a sporting event, first time participating in a sporting event, first band concert…you get the idea!  Somewhere along the line, in my life anyhow, the firsts start to slow to a leisurely, perhaps even sloth-like pace and when they do come, we may not celebrate them with the same vigor we once did.  
 
Thanks to the brilliant work of neuroanatomist Dr.Marian C. Diamond, we know that successful aging of the brain involves five core elements:  Diet, Exercise, Challenge,Newness and Love.  I don’t know about you, but I’ve gotten a little lax with a few of these over the years!  To help rectify that, I am challenging myself to experience forty-five purposeful firsts before my forty-fifth birthday.  

This started as a 10 firsts project and has since grown as friends, family and clients have recommended different events, challenges and opportunities for firsts!  As challenge is another of the elements, why not take it up a level?

For those of you who are wondering what kind of timeline I’m working with, my 45th birthday is November 30, 2013.  That’s twenty-five weeks from this past Saturday, and approximately thirty-three weeks from when I first considered taking on this project.

In future blog posts I will share with you my experiences with the “45 Firsts” Project and welcome your insights, suggestions and personal experiences with introducing newness and challenge into your life as an adult!  

May all Your Endeavors be Insightful,
Nora A Burns, SPHR

No comments: