Thursday, February 14, 2013

Magnetic South


I am directionally challenged.  Seriously directionally challenged.  My internal compass is, at best, magnetic south.

In my hometown of Denver, CO I stand a chance --- with the Rocky Mountains to the west of town, I have a significant landmark that I can see at least seventy percent of the time.  I also have the benefit of a digital compass built into the rearview mirror in my car.

Here’s the thing – rental cars – at least the frugal end of the selection – rarely involves a compass.  Given the nature of my job, I travel a fair amount.  With travel come rental cars --- rental cars without digital compasses in communities that don’t have the Rocky Mountains as a directional aide. 

Yes, I use a GPS.  Here’s the challenge – my GPS uses directions like “head north”. 

You can see the problem. 

If I knew which way was north I probably wouldn’t be reliant on a GPS. 

Having made more than my fair share of U turns this week, I’ve been thinking more and more about “head north” and how it translates to providing directions to members of our team. 

Are we providing instructions to others in way that makes them wonder if they really understand our problem, question or concern? 

Something to consider.

No comments: